Applications are now open for the first intake of the Carnegie-funded Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme, which is aimed at enhancing ICT skills for research enablement in African universities. Academic librarians and LIS faculty in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda are eligible to apply for admission to this programme.
Eight four-week training sessions will take place over a period of three years. 32 participants will be selected for each intake.
This four-week residential training programme with both practical (70%) and theoretical (30%) components will cover the following topics:
1. Setting the context: Libraries, ICTs and research
2. Leadership and innovation
3. Information literacy
4. Social media for research discoverability in an academic environment
5. Mobile technology and mobility
6. Managing and organising information
7. Personal Information Management
8. Open Scholarship and Open Science (OS/S) – Publishing
9. Open Scholarship and Open Science - Institutional Repositories.
10. Open Scholarship and Open Science - Understanding and using research data management
12. Evaluating website architecture
13. Cloud computing and storage
14. Virtual research environments
15. The next generation librarian
This is a fully funded programme which will take place in Pretoria, South Africa. The funding covers books and other academic expenditures, flights, accommodation, and a daily stipend while in Pretoria. All participants are expected to reside in the accommodation provided in Pretoria for the duration of the programme.
· Visa applications, personal expenses (for example medicine, laundry, phone calls, etc.)
· ICT equipment such as laptops, modems, internet access top-ups etc.
· Travel to and from the airport in your home country
Application for the first intake of 2014 closes on 29 April 2014. No late applications will be considered. (There will be a second intake in November 2014, as well as further intakes in 2015 and 2016.)
For additional information on the programme content, eligibility and selection criteria, application procedures, important dates, etc., please see: